Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Headed to Sturgis, Thursday

Well, I am sorry I have been absent most of this month except for the one ridiculous post about Walgreen's. At the beginning of this month, my dad, my step mom, my husband, and I all went to Sturgis, South Dakota for the 70th Annual Black Hills Motorcycle Rally. Yes, that rally. The one with all of the bikers. That is the one. It is held the first full week of August each year. So if you are planning a family vacation to see Mount Rushmore, you have been advised. The area was expecting about 650,000 motorcycle enthusiasts. I heard but can't prove that they actually had between 750,000 and 1 Million motorcycles. Meals in restaurants were kind of slow. The eateries were kind of busy.

The plan was my parents would ride up from McGregor, Texas, about 330 miles to our house on Thursday and we would leave Friday for Sturgis. Dad and Gwen got here right on time, so we went to eat dinner at Applebee's here in Edmond. Then we went to BS Unlimited in south Oklahoma City to do some shopping. We were shopping for a pad for Dad's motorcycle seat.

We have talked about seats before, when I rode as a pillion passenger on the back of my ZZR. Seat comfort is important for rides over fifty miles.

Dad had held off on buying an upgraded seat for his Heritage Softail (the green and white one) until right before the trip. Dad and Darling Husband are both big believers in the Sundowner seat sold by Harley Davidson. Dad purchased a Sundowner for his bike, put it on, and made the dash to my house. We have a Sundowner seat on our Street Glide, the red one in the previous picture. I love it. That seat is so nice and cushy. Ahh, I get all comfy thinking about it. So Dad gets on his bike with Gwen and they head to our house. By the time they got here, Dad's back and uh, derriere, were bothering him. So, we went to BS Unlimited to get a gel seat pad for him. The manufacturers of those things are proud of them! Dad got a nice blue velvet one (the only color they came in) and we went home and installed it. By this time, it was bedtime. We were planning on getting up early to make the big push to La Junta, Colorado.

We went to bed and this is the start of our trip to Sturgis.

No comments:

Post a Comment