Saturday, August 28, 2010

Finally in LaJunta

I was soooo glad to get to the hotel last night!

We hit construction on the south side of Springfield, Colorado and we must have missed the follow me truck because we were there for forty-five minutes waiting for our turn.

Now, a person might ask, why are you going through Colorado to go to Sturgis, South Dakota.

There are a couple of reasons. First, my brother and my grandmother live in Rocky Ford, Colorado. That means we get to see them. Second, going through Colorado means going around Nebraska which means I don't have to wear a helmet. Yes, I believe in helmets, does that mean I like to wear them? Most emphatically, no. I do wear one while I am riding my ZZR but if I am riding pillion with Darling Husband, I will pass, thank you very much.

So anyways, we get through Woodward very uneventfully. Then, we run into construction just outside of Fort Supply. Highway 3 is down to one lane. We get through that and keep heading down the highway.

About thirty minutes later, more construction. Yay! (Not really) Again, we stop. We talk to the flagman and he tells us he is from Amarillo, Texas. Flagman says that when he first took the job, he thought it would be boring. He found out other wise. He tells us about how that morning, he has a lady in an SUV just blow right past his stop sign. Then she had to reverse to where he was and shut her car down. Flagman asked the lady why she did not stop, she tells him that she did not see his bright yellow reflective vest nor did she see the great big red stop sign he was waving at her. He was in the middle of the road. He had to jump out of her way. Finally, the follow me truck comes back and we get to get back on our way. Flagman did not want his picture taken.

Finally, we get to Guymon, Oklahoma. We stop, fuel the bikes, and head north Highway 287 to Springfield, Colorado.

As we come up highway 287 north to Springfield, we are greeted with this fabulous sight: parked cars in the road, engines not running.

We stop; dad and Darling Husband kill the engines to the bikes and we dismount. We must have just missed the follow me truck, because we were numbers seven and eight in this line and soon traffic behind us was backed up a half mile. We sat there for twenty minutes and talked about how the construction we were sitting in must go all the way to Springfield for it to take this long for the truck to come back. Finally the truck comes back and we get to mount back up and slowly roll through the six and a half miles of construction. When we get to Lamar, we pull into the gas station to fill up. We have just an hour of road time left to La Junta and the hotel.

So we get to the hotel, and hooray for paisley sheets!



We visited with my brother and his new girlfriend, Candace.



We visited with Lee, a friend of the family, and his new project car.




Then it was bed time...


Thanks for stoppin' by!

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment