Thursday, July 22, 2010

Bike Night July 21 2010



Last night's bike night was hosted by BACA Nation, at Mooney's Pub & Grill in Norman, Oklahoma. My husband heard the ad on the radio Monday night and thought we should go.


We left our house last night at 7, met at the Redeemed Wolf's house in Edmond at 7:15, and then we waited for Broccoli and Flip. The ride down Edmond's city streets was relatively normal. Just traffic as usual. Broccoli just bought a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja, the bigger version, and had to replace the chain. So when they pulled up, he gets off his bike and the four guys start to work on tightening the chain. It's a lot like a bicycle chain. Just like when your bicycle chain would get loose, so do motorcycle chains. Anyways, the boys spent 20 minutes messing around with that before we could mount up and head to Norman.





No, I did not ride my own bike, I rode with my husband. I am not quite confident enough to head down I-35 on my own yet. Call me a chicken if you need to, I can handle it.

Redeemed Wolf led the way out of his neighborhood at a quick clip. After you leave the gate, the boulevard to the main road has several S-curves, so we swayed in and out and left and right. It was definitely enough to make a girl's stomach twitch. We got onto Kelly Avenue and headed south, Broccoli and Flip on their sport bikes, Redeemed Wolf on his custom 1200 Sportster, and us on our Street Glide. Definitely a motley crew. We were to meet the Mohawk Mullet and Crash at a gas station on 23rd and Broadway Extension. As we zipped down Kelly and merged onto Broadway Extension aka I-235, we zoomed up the on ramp. It was awesome! The wind in our hair, the sun on our skin, you just can't beat not being in a car sometimes.




(Every once in a while I wonder why we didn't start this hobby a long time ago. I know the answer but I will save it for later)


So we get to the gas station and pick up the Mohawk Mullet and Crash. Of course they had a good laugh at my expense about not riding down on my own and getting caught in the rain by myself last week. Back on the bikes, we left the gas station and our six bikes (3 Harleys, 2 Kawasakis, and a Yamaha) and jammed back on to the highway. As we topped the hill on to the interstate, it was like being on a roller coaster. He hit the gas and I was leaned against the sissy bar and we crested the top of the on ramp. We looked over our left shoulder and merged into the traffic. Thrown back, rise up, lean left, back up right! Whew!


As we merged onto southbound I-35, I held my breath because I was not sure if the guy on the phone in the car next to us was paying any kind of attention at all to the road. The highway was pretty crowded, and as person enters Moore, several highways and main roads converge, meaning a bunch of people trying to get into their lanes all at once. There are the left lanes merging with Shields and an exit ramp for the next road all together at once. It is not unusual to have a motorist cut across all four lanes of traffic to get off on 12th street. As passed the exit and on ramps for 12th street, all six of us were in the second to left lane. A tractor trailer was in the lane next to us. He turned his signal on. The fast lane was taken and the car in front of our group was going too slow. That poor trucker had to stay there in the slow lane.


Finally, we get to Mooney's. There were at least a hundred motorcycles of all shapes and sizes parked in the lot. We got off the bikes and walked around to check out the vendors.




Not a whole lot of vendors were in attendance. There were two beer tents, the BACA Nation guys, and a random stuff tent. The random stuff tent provided entertainment for a couple of hours. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not making fun of anyone, it was just a little different.


There were pins, patches, dice, knives, t-shirts, leather chaps, leather vests, denim vests, bandannas, and little thong panties. In pink and black. Really.


Mohawk Mullet brought this up: For the accessories, who on earth buys lingerie at a bike night?


Is it for girls who get their drinks splashed on their laps? (don't know) Are they gag gifts? (Don't know) What motivates the buyer to buy them? Do they stand there and think," hmm, don't want a bandanna, don't need a t-shirt, ah-ha! Panties! I need a bright pink pair of ladies' underpants! That will be my souvenir, gift for significant other, or the antenna flag for my bike! That would be much better than a t-shirt!I can't live with out them!" And how many pairs of panties are actually sold at such an event?


We understand the beer vendors, they are a no brainer. The pin and patch vendors, the boot vendors, even the leather vendors. Leather coats and chaps are expensive. They are usually a third of the price at such an event. But the undergarments are the same price as at a big box retailer. So the price is not that much different. We never did decide why the thongs would be a good purchase.


After our laughter died, we agreed we needed to find some place else to party. We took a very uneventful ride up the highway to the Dugout on May and Hefner. We hung out for an hour and called it a night.





Thanks for stopping by!






Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment